What is NEMA ?
- Speaking of NEMA 6P, we have to talk about NEMA ratings. As we mentioned in another article NEMA Ratings and What They Mean, NEMA stands for National Electrical Manufacturers Association, which is currently the largest association in the US. It is an industry body which provides standards and guidelines to the electrical manufacturing industry within Northern America.
- NEMA’s role is to establish standards to which electrical components are designed and manufactured for use within various relevant industries. NEMA has created Strict guidelines to ensure that components meet a satisfactory standard for their intended applications.
- NEMA provides various standards covering products including enclosures, connectors, and other parts within the enclosures. The standards are utilized by manufacturers in design and manufacturing stages to ensure that end products are safe within specific environments ultimately.
- There are 13 different types of NEMA enclosures rated from 1-13 with several sub-categories. Every enclosure has a specific NEMA rating for both the protection against access or ingress, and an additional type dependent designation with regards to environmental conditions. A NEMA enclosure is rated to protect electrical equipments from environmental hazards such as water, dust, oil, or environments containing corrosive agents etc.
- Below is a chart of the NEMA enclosure types. Each type specifies the characteristic of an enclosure of its assigned rating.
NEMA Standards - Why They Matter
- The technical standards provided by NEMA for enclosures outline both products made from metallic and non-metallic materials, intended for use with electrical equipments that need to meet an environmental requirement. These standards are vital for the design, production and distribution of electrical enclosures across North America. Consequently, the standards assist both users and manufacturers to obtain a higher level of safety. Accordingly, this reduces misunderstandings between manufacturers and purchasers, by enabling purchasers to select suitable enclosures more easily.
NEMA 6P Stainless Steel Enclosures
- Stainless Steel enclosures rated NEMA 6P such as the weather proof range from E-Abel ensure protection against the ingress of water and dust. The stainless-steel construction further ensures protection against the corrosive environments of sea water. For more information on enclosures or ratings please visit E-ABEL.
E-Abel’S 24/7 SUPPORT
- At E-Abel, we design and develop.
- We Power the Enclosures – Practical, Flexible, Remarkable.